1) Make your templates. Take a piece of paper and draw 2 triangles the same size, two side pieces and one back piece. You can choose your own measurements to fit your fabric/preferences. The adjoining sides all need to be the same lengths for each piece. You should be left with two triangles and three rectangles - one rectangle shorter in width than the other two for the back piece.
2) Cut one base triangle, two side pieces and one back piece from white felt. Cut one top triangle from your patterned fabric.
3) With right sides facing, pin the long side of the patterned fabric to the long side of one of the felt side pieces. Machine stitch in place. Now pin the other long side of the patterned fabric to the long side of the second felt side piece, and again machine stitch in place. Pin the felt back piece to the short side of the patterned fabric and machine stitch as before. Pin the side seams together, and once again machine stitch in place to complete the cover.
4) Fill the cake with the piece of foam or stuffing. Place the felt base in place, pin the seams and hand stitch. To hide the join, hand sew ric rac across the fabric change.
5) To decorate your cake, hand sew a length of ribbon around the edge (making sure that it is centred) and embellish the top with pearl beads, felt flowers and small pompoms.
For more ideas for sewing projects, including children's projects, christmas projects and summer holiday boredom busters, check out our pinterest boards at www.pinterest.com/mysewingbox1
Don't forget to keep up to date on facebook too!