Free UK delivery on orders £45+
My Sewing Blog
Think it's too complicated to make your own lampshade? Think again! Use this easy video and written instructions to be on your way to a beautifully handmade lampshade in merely a few hours.
How to Make a Nautical Lampshade
For a 20cm lampshade, you will need:
- 20cm lampshade kit
- 0.25m Ahoy Yachts Sky fabric
- Scissors or rotary cutter
- Metal rule (optional)
- Weights (optional)
- Lampshade base
How to make:
- Lay your fabric out flat, right side down.
- Lay the backing paper from your kit onto the fabric and cut around the fabric if necessary to remove excess.
- Next you need to stick the backing paper to the back of your fabric. The easiest way to do this is to weight your fabric down at the far end, and peel away the backing of the paper gradually, using a metal rule to help stick down and remove any air bubbles as you go.
- Trim the fabric to the size of your backing paper.
- Bend along the perforations at the top and bottom of the backing, then tear off these strips.
- Using the double sided tape in the box, cut a strip long enough for one short edge. Stick down onto the edge which you would like to be on top on the finished lampshade.
- Next, use the double sided tape to cover the round edge of the lampshade drum top and bottom. Ensure that they are well covered.
- Peel off the tape covering and align your wire top and bottom at the opposite end to your double sided tape strip, remembering to ensure the bottom one is facing the right way.
- Gently and evenly, roll the wire circles down the length of your fabric, keeping the edges aligned right up against the edges of the paper backing.
- When you get to the other short edge, remove the tape covering on the double sided strip and stick down firmly.
- Cut notches in the top and bottom areas of fabric where the cross wires are. This will help create a professional finish.
- Using your hands, roll the fabric in and over the wire circles, trying to stick down firmly and tuck the ends underneath as much as possible.
- Using the tool provided in the box, tuck under the remaining ends of the fabric to keep firmly in place.
- Trim any frays away, screw onto your lampshade base and voila - one lampshade!