My Sewing Blog
You don't have to be a sewing pro to be able to make something pretty to give to someone you love.. these 10 simple projects will show you care in a way that's more than just stopping off at the shop!
10 Easy Sewing Projects for Valentine's Day
Following on from the popularity of our previous gifting post, 6 Gifts to Make for Him That He'll Actually Like, we decided to have a rummage around for some more good ideas for handmade gifts. They are just so hard to find! But never fear, here they are...
6 More Cool Valentine's Day Gifts to Make for Him
Share your own Valentine's gift projects below!
Valentine's day doesn't just have to be about celebrating love with your partner, you can celebrate all the people you love too! So we've rounded up some fun valentine's themed decorations to make, which will help spread the love around your home, whoever is in it.
Valentine's Decorations to Bring Love to Your Home
Pretty as a Picture
Dancing on the Ceiling
Share your comments and ideas below!
In the words of Beyonce: all the single ladies, put your hands up! Now, although you may think you can't celebrate on Valentine's Day because you don't have a S.O., we say - celebrate being single! So we've put together a selection of fab projects to make for yourself, to celebrate YOU! (Gentlemen, you're included in this party for one too).
Valentine's Projects for all the Single Ladies (and Gentlemen)
Get the kids involved on Valentine's Day too, by giving them a fun project to do and use to share the love around them! Some are just fun projects, others could be made into gifts for their loved ones, whether family, friends or crushes...
8 Valentine's Projects for Kids
Share your thoughts or any other great projects you've found below!
Browsing the web for projects can take up an awful lot of time, but the in the process of looking for a great project, you quite often find some quirky ones that you might have a go at too! We've brought the best of the weird and wonderful projects we could find for Valentine's Day together in one place.
Weird and Wonderful Valentine's Day Projects
(if you want to use the beige fabric, Spraytime Natural is a good substitute)
Got your own weird and wonderful sewing projects? Comment below to share them!
Want to make something pretty to hang up and share the love on Valentine's day? Try out our embroidery hoop art project - it's a great one for beginners, using simple sewing and shapes to good effect! And once the big day is over, you could hang it up in a child's bedroom or leave it up as a reminder of the love shared in your house.
How to Make Valentine's Embroidery Hoop Art
You will need:
- Embroidery hoop of your chosen size
- Fat quarter of your chosen fabric - we've used Spot on Raspberry
- White felt
- A strip of white cotton
- Contrasting embroidery thread
- Stamps or fabric pen
- Pen & paper
How to make your Valentine's heart embroidery art:
- Unscrew your embroidery hoop and place your fabric over the inner ring. Push the outer ring over the top and screw the top to hold in place, making sure the fabric is taught.
- Using a pen and paper, draw a template for your felt heart. Cut out and pin to your felt, then cut around the template on the felt to create your heart.
- Thread up your needle with the embroidery thread and using a reasonably long running stitch, stitch the heart to your fabric in the centre of the hoop.
- Decide what you want to write in the middle of your heart and stamp or write your message onto the strip of cotton fabric, then cut to size. Make sure to leave a cm or two at either side to sew it on.
- Using the thread, sew one long stitch at either end of the cotton strip to attach.
- To hang - attach some ribbon or string to the top of the hoop and hang from a picture hook, or if your picture hook is small enough, hang the hoop straight on the hook using the gap under the screw.